Thursday, April 7, 2011

degrading & demeaning pop-culture

being of the world and being of the church are two different things. being transformed by the renewing of our spirit is different than conforming to the world...that said

tuesday i was accessories browsing w/ my good friend april and we entered a popular teen accessories store in hopes of finding a headband for me to wear in my wedding. at the front of the store, next to the register, about rib height there was a shelf of flasks. they were lepoard print, glittered and one read "biatch" in pink glittery lettering. There was also a disclaimer that read "we do not support or condone underage drinking"

LIKE HELL YOU DON'T. a store who's target market is between the ages of 7-16, that sells flasks.

on a local radio morning show they were talking about how this popular and over priced store was being sued because their sister tween store was marketing a padded push up bikini top. this store is primarily marketed to tweens (ranging again from 8-12). this is insane.

then for the billionth time i heard riahanna's s&m on the radio AND my students were talking about it at church.

thank you pop culture and how you are trying to turn all of our children into sexualized drunks by the time they can drive....

after i retire to my couch to read my mail...i opened my designer underwear catalog to see if they have any sweet sales...i notice their teen line and the sleepwear. surprisingly it's appropriate. sleep shirts, tank tops and sleep shorts.
EXCEPT for the writing.
"let's get naked", "get naked with me", "stay the night" amongst other things....

we (respectable people...) are fighting a losing battle with culture. our world at this rate will turn into the whores of Babylon all over again.

my mom used to tell me i looked like a hussy if i wore tank tops or showed my shoulders in general. i used to roll my eyes at her, as i am sure kids do now a days when we mention they should not wear shorts that are so short the pockets are hanging out the bottoms or if they have something vulgar written across their chest.
i am perfectly sure that at least some of the girls that are wearing these...messages are not fully aware of the impact they have.
much like i am sure that our kids are not aware that when they watch trash like jersey shore or teen mom that they are becoming immune to the culture and are starting to think of it as 'normal'

....i wish pushing the limit and reaching for shock value were not the norms.
I wish we could just all be respectable people encouraging the building up of people and the spirit of God.

...it's a uphill battle and i've got my gloves ready.

No comments: